Thursday 24 May 2007

:(


My photography (for once) here.

COLON OPEN BRACKET. Stupid name really. They make 8-bit electronic music with sort of almost screamo music on top. Sort of like Crystal Castles, only not. A friend of mine described them as 'emotronic', which I think is a nice way to sum it up. They're a four piece from Aberdeen in Scotland (two boys, two girls) and at some point in their formation had the rather wonderful idea of adapting old computer keyboards to use live on stage. Leona and Claire hold these inmuch the same way as a guitar, with a guitar strap and standard jumping around - there's typing but no strumming. Anyway, they played the Camden Underworld just over a month ago, and I was there to see it. The show was a matinees performance starting at 3.30 with loads of other bands playing before. :( finally took the stage at about seven O'clock. Lead singer Mart put on an enigmatic performance; we managed to grab a place right at the front, the girls I was with spent the whole performance stroking his yellow converses; and drummer Adam wowed the crowd with his superhuman drumming skillzzzzzzzzzzz.
The show ended with the strap breaking off Claire's keyboard and her making the abrupt decision to destroy it. Pretty rock & roll if you ask me, and I still have one of the arrow keys and the q. Yep that's me in the flashing green circle. I was really amazed to see myself on the :( Myspace, surely my fame knows no bounds. (Not my photogaphy. Obviously.)



DOWNLOADS: I couldn't see the point in posting any here, but they are available off the :( myspace:
www.myspace.com/colonopenbracket
:( have an EP, First Blood, on release and it's on sale from the Myspace.

No comments: